Friday, August 20, 2021

Cawlin asks Cherub for advice

As I landed on the lower branch of the tree where Cherub was, I remembered Mother’s crowverb (Crow proverb)
“A falcoln with a full stomac might not be a friend, but a hungry falcoln is an enemy.
They might not be a friend
But they might condescend
When their stomac is full
To try to be helpful"
I could feel Cherub’s piercing gaze. So, I knew I had to act fast.

Cawlin: “My friend left you some food"

Cherub:
“I devoured it with my brood
We sleep after we feed
What is it you need?”

As she swooped to my side
I was scared on the inside

Cawlin:
“My friends and I will travel far
What is it we need to know?
You've been on a route that's similar
Before we get ready to go.
I might be able to free
Icarus during our journey.”

Cherub laughed out loud
“You sound so very proud
I have talons, speed, and a hooked beak
Of what great assets can you speak?
To take on a journey so immense
Does not seem to make much sense.”

Cawlin:
“I am smart I am clever
Can use a pulley and a lever
You can laugh and you can mock
But I can make tools and pick a lock
You may be strong, you may be active
But your dear Icaurus is now a captive.

Humans ignore me, this invisibility
Along with my own innate ability
Will help me get him free
Do not underestimate me.

Tell me about your migrations
The dangers from various nations
So that we can be well prepared
On my account I am not scared
But I do not live in a bubble
My friends are quite vulnerable.

Cawlin's plans seemed too far-fetched
For miles the seas and oceans stretched,
They couldn’t possibly go that way
This was not some child’s play.
Yet she knew for Icarus to be freed
She’d have to help Cawlin succeed.

When she spoke her voice was meek
“I’ll give you the information you seek
Planning a trip is now quite tough
Climate change has made it rough
As weather patterns change
It has affected our range.

Aided by a three plus foot wingspan
Managing a long non-stop flight, we can
We reach a 93-mile per hour speed
That is extremely powerful indeed.

A long migration I’ve perfected
Is across the Mediterranean Sea
This journey is also affected
By the scourge of falconry.

After miles of flying we reach the land
And nets are set across the sand
To entice us much food is dangled
In those nets we get entangled.
It was not in Africa that Icarus was caught
Falcons here was what poacher sought
That too right during the nesting season
And that’s the one and only reason
I’m raising our brood here all on my own
They should make it, they’re almost grown.

Mike the Shrike was who they used
To trick Icarus into the net
Mike the Shrike himself abused
Revenge is out to get.

Talk to him he will let you know
Where exactly you have to go
How to get there, what you need
I want my Icarus to be freed.

Talk to him he will let you know
Where exactly you have to go
When you plan your trip
You must have got a grip
On your weakness and your strength
Then assess each sub-journey’s length."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...