Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Welcome Edward Goose and David Goose!

On Sunday and Monday there were lots of birds in the market. On regular days they are not allowed to sell birds -- outside the vegetable market there are just trucks with grains, potatoes and cabbages. Grandma came back from the market and said they had birds instead. So, I had to go see them!

Grandma did not want to buy any more animals because she already has too many souls to care for and we don't help. David and I insisted. He wanted a parrot. They were only 15 lei. Mama did not want to see a bird in a small cage all day and reminded us we have four cats and four kittens who consider wild birds to be very tasty. The truth is I've only seen our cats eat mice and rats, but we have this intruder - an ugly male cat who lives in our yard. I even suspect him of eating a whole hen. It only happened once. Grandma found her bones and feathers on the veranda. The only lingering question is how he brought an animal as heavy as himself over the fence. David asked if the parrots were talking. They were not, and the seller said it would be very difficult to teach them to speak. Since we could not get mama or grandma to buy one, we had to give up on the parrot idea. 

Next to the parrots there were these really cute baby geese. The owner said they were American. I tricked mama by promising to be good from this day forward and do my homework when she asked me to. I said I could do it because there are only three weeks of school left. Grandma did not believe me, but somehow mama did or at least wanted to think I was truthful. So, we bought two geese: one for me and one for David. 

We then went to the Timis river. After we got out of the car, the geese followed me around like I was their mother. I walked around on my knees and they came after me. It had rained and there were lots of puddles. James jumped in a puddle and wet his clothes. The rain water was warm from the sun. The geese played in the muddy water and ate grass. James did the same. Grandma picked lots of grass mixed with clover for the goats. I helped a little, but was mostly too busy with the geese. David did even less than me. He sat in the sun and picked flowers to eat their nectar. A gentleman saw him and told him to leave the flowers alone. He had planted some of the trees there.

Then we got home. David and I climbed on the roof of the shed and spent the rest of the day there. We ate cherries from the neighbor's tree. They are almost ripe. We shot cherry stones through blow pipes. I then climbed our mulberry tree to eat some mulberries. David cannot climb it.

Lots of fruits ripe in the same time this year because it's so hot. It's like in Hector Servadac -- a book I am reading by Jules Verne -- only most of humanity has not disappeared as of yet. I refused to do my homework until late in the evening. Then two ducks hatched. I put the chickens to bed and went to bed myself. Mama was sad I did not keep my promise. She could not sleep because of the geese who made lots of noise because they were lonely. She put them under Petunia (our mother hen) and Petunia adopted them.  They are learning to be chickens now, but still follow me around when I take them out of Petunia's box. In the morning, I woke up at 6 a.m. to do my homework. Mama and grandma helped. School is almost over this year. 

When we returned from school, David and I ate and got to go to our judo lessons. They are taught by Corina Caprioriu and her husband. She is a world-wide champion in the 57-kg category. The room is named after her. It has been built so that she can train children like us and they do it for free. They even gave us proper judo kimonos! When we started she was eight months pregnant. This week her baby came out and her husband taught in her place.  They are amazing even though they make us do lots of push-ups. After we got home, I did my homework on time, ate more cherries, and saw two more ducklings hatch. Then I put the chickens to bed, and went to bed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...