Saturday, May 19, 2018

Hello

I am Edward and I am seven years old! I am in the third grade. Today I woke up and let the chickens out. One black chick died. It was too cold outside. So, grandma and mother helped me empty a box full of twigs and small pieces of wood. I put some hay in the box and took it inside.  This became the new home of Petunia (our broody hen) and her 20 baby chicks. Two are black, one is striped like a wild piglet and the rest are red and white. Mama bought some net and asked our next door neighbour, Sorin, to make the box safer for the chickens. He put together a wood frame for the metal net to make it harder for the cats to get into the box and eat the chicken. James likes to move chickens and kittens to the middle of the room. He is 1 and 1/2, which means he is as much of a danger to them as the cats -- only it's easier for him to take the net off.

Then I spent most of my day cleaning my room. I cleaned all surfaces: I wiped the furniture, put most things back together in a resemblance of order, and even washed the floors with an electric mop. Mother and grandma were very happy with me for a little while. I then fed some cottage cheese mixed with bran to the chicken and put it all over the bed that is next to the fridge. It was an honest mistake and I moved on without cleaning the cheese or telling anyone about it. The man who helps care for grandpa used to sleep there and he was very angry. When mama found out, she came and cleaned the bed, but he left anyway. He is only coming back in the morning to take his things -- he says he's seen children, but none as bad as us  -- and in a family where everyone is so educated it's not something he expected. There is more for grandma and mama to do with him gone, but it's nice to have the house to ourselves again.

Afterwards I went outside to play with David, but after few minutes a torrential rain started. I hate global warming. Mama says the fashionable thing to do is to blame all weather changes on global warming, but do nothing to try to stop climate change. A world filled with unstoppable yucky mud puddles that emit methane is not nice. If we cut trees and don't slow down emissions, more and more carbon dioxide and methane will end up in the atmosphere.

In the evening we visited Tanti Luminita's mother (the neighbour who lives two doors away from us). We bought 10 eggs for 3 lei. She gave each of us a piece of cake, and some coliva (very yummy!). We saw her chickens and her garden, and she gave me and David 4 tomato plants, 8 pepper plants, and 12 flowers for my garden. The earth was wet after the rain, and it was easy to dig. I planted the vegetables and flowers, and David wanted to check on the carrots. We moved some carrots away from their patch to make them grow better. We also ate a bunch. They were very yummy!  We hope for improved night vision, and for lack of glasses when we grow up. Nobody has seen rabbits with glasses after all.

Before going to bed I noticed a duck was hatching in my incubator. Also, a kitten started opening his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...