Saturday, February 19, 2022

The encounter

Since we had passed the hydrocentral, the voyage felt less tense. One great peril had passed. Yet we knew we continued to be in deadly danger. We could still be attacked by so many predators. Cawlin announced we were getting close to the delta. The river was widdening. It had started to branch out. Just in front of us, wild ducks were landing on water. I jump off the coracle to chat with them. Under me a big shadow moves. It nears. I fly back in the corracle just as a huge head appears. I stand petrified and watch the churning water. He is temporarily confused by our boat, but he can flip it, and eat its occupants in no time at all and he knows it. His head is twice as large as my whole body. This means he could swallow me whole, and still have room for more. His back is wide, and he may be about the size of two men. Its eyes paralyze me. I can't move, but I can see Athena. She jumps at his head as if poised to gourge his eyes out. She stratches him with her razor like claws and manages to fly away. The injured fish departs leaving a small red stain in the water. Athena was just in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...