Monday, February 7, 2022

Clearance

The warnings of yesterday made me wary and uneasy. I was constantly scared of everything. Even if I saw a small catfish, I jumped on the coracle. I could no longer enjoy the beauty and the wealth of the Danube. I saw plenty of carefree birds flying above us or swimming near the shores, while Narcisa and I were always on the lookout for some hidden danger. The hydrocentral was the worst. The nearing evening brought it closer.

In the end a dim line of cement that stretched between a giant island and land appeared. As we floated closer I could see that it was built out of tens of smaller cement slabs that looked like fox claws. At one end a gate, small in comparison, waited to be opened. That churning water made me uneasy, is the understatement of the day.

We got closer. I could see the gate in great detail. Cawlin and Codrin left to see if they can get it opened. If not, we'll smash into it. We are now dangerously close. The noise is deafening. All of us are so anxious. We abandon the coracle and fly above the hydrocentral. Even Athena follows. If it passes unscathed we will jump back on it.

The gate opens with a loud buzz. It lifts heavily out of the water. Ripples reach the corracle. It passes under the gate, and does not sink. Hooray!! We'll soon reach the Delta! Cawlin and Codrin return victoriously. I can't wait to hear their story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...