Friday, November 12, 2021

The STARLINGuist

I am a member of the Sturnidae

Well known for their mimicry

My master, a marine biologist

has turned me into a STARLINGuist

This man, Petre Ionescu

A baby bird he did rescue

That bird was me

and now you see

I grew up to be big and strong

I can speak in prose and song

You know he saved me now

It's time to tell you just how

On a ship through the Bosphorus

that was heading for Cyprus

In Turkey where the ship had to dock

As weather was good Petre went for a walk

As he was walking on the ground he spied

A baby starling, ignored, I would have died

He named me Codrin

Hid me in his cabin

he kept me warm, he fed me well

that he'd found me half dead, you couldn't tell

it started of when I'd imitate the telephone ring

He noticed my talent and taught me to sing

But sadly Petre would be going on trips

and I was not welcomed on most ships

He was forced to give me to a friend

Then my carefree days came to an end

This friend lived close to Sanovita

Shut me in a cage, fed me fruit and pita

Better said, small scraps of his food,

They were very cheap, but not very good.

My natural diet is fruit, nectar and seeds

Which can be easily found among the reeds

But Mircea was too lazy to pick something like that

Instead he'd go to the bar and complain he lost his hat

Till everybody in the villiage had heard

That last year, his hat had diaspperared

It did feel a little flat

To put up with such a prat

People forget I have my own role in creation

I eat nectar, which is good for polination

I bring the joy of Christmas when I disperse miseltoe seeds

I bring them to cities from their home among reeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...