Sunday, November 7, 2021

Floating down the Danube

"Cawlin is a good builder even though he is male" Narcisa commented. The prickly plants were placed over a frame of bendy willow branches on which Cawlin had stuck some grass to fill it. Most of the stems were in the water or had roots thickly coated with mud to keep them from wilting. The coracle now smelled of dead mice. There was a bunch on the floor, some in the back, and some next to Athena, who was sleeping peacefully between them.

I waddled up to Cawlin who was rightfully bragging while looking at the results of his work and said "Let's go find some grain or corn to eat. We don't want to be hungry when we leave."

We flew towards the fields. The droplets of dew were shining in the sun, and made it seem like pieces of stars have falled down. Cawlin points out to some grapes near a cornfield. They look ripe. We land on the grass below the vine and start the feast. I certainly appreciate diversity when it comes to my meals. Cawlin then ate some corn from the edges of the field, where fewer chemicals landed on the plants. Penelope, Codrin and Philip found some wheat and some sunflower seeds, which we all tasted. After this quick breakfast we took wing, and flew back to our coracle.

Penelope and Philip got in through the back, while Narcisa and I slowly pushed the coracle away from land. It was hard to move it at first. Cawlin and Codrin put a long stick under it and helped in pushing it. Eventually, it moved and soon we reached a stronger current. Narcisa and I continued to swim behind it, and catch fish. When the evening came, Athena flew to the top of the coracle and started hooting. "Do you want to try some fish. I've left some out for you" I asked.

Cawlin: I've seen owls in India that eat fish.

Athena: OK, I will try some fishy mice. I have enough supplies to not need to leave the coracle tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...