Saturday, October 23, 2021

A Starling's plight

I was bored and longed for freedom. Most days and all nights I sat in my cage and looked out a small window, which was open often to let air in and bad smells out. One late summer day a crow landed on a nearby tree. It looked in, and investigated my door latch. My heart leapt. Maybe this crow could save me. Just then the crow said "Hi, I am Cawlin! If you can speak I'll save you."

"Of course, I can. My human taught me. I heard him comment I can speak well enough to make most fools believe I was human." Cawlin pulled on the latch and prized the door open. Just then a sparrow flew in. He introduced himself as Phillip, the chip-chirip and said "Come on, fly out of this cage! Narcissus is waiting for you! We were charged with bringing the talking Starling to him. You are the right Starling for what he wants." I had heard of Narcissus before. His wisdom is a legend. After we flew out the window, a second sparrow joined us in the willlow tree behind the house and said "I am Penelope. We saved you because we are going to India, and we need an interpreter who can speak Human. You will be another one of our team who does not harm birds to eat." Togther we flew to the nearest river where two white ducks were floating about and occasionally diving to eat water weeds. One was Narcissus, and the other Narcisa.

Above them was an owl, who stared at me. I worried it was hungry, while Narcissus introduced Athena. She is a calm, sensible creature. We are now friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the shore

When the ship is moving, Petra is not collecting data. So, when she is not analysing data, myself, Codrin, Cawlin and Petra are free to wor...